Top Eleven Doctor Who Quotes That Sound Like Something Jesus Would Say!
Beyond the Pale readers should be made aware of the fact that that I am in BIG Doctor Who fan. You know, the T.V. show about a 900 year old alien who travels through space and time in a phone box with a “sonic” screwdriver and friends.
Yep, that show…
In fact it’s been fun for Gabriel (my son) and I to watch my wife Tammy’s transition from ambivalence bordering on contempt to full blown fan of The Doctor as well. The transition occurred over 5 stages that went something like this:
Stage 1: “No way are we watching Doctor Who tonight!”
Stage 2: “If you guys want to watch Doctor Who, I can do something else.”
Stage 3: “I suppose if there is nothing else on, we can watch Doctor Who.”
Stage 4: “Hey, what if we watch Doctor Who tonight.”
Stage 5: “I LOVE Doctor Who! Don’t you dare watch any episodes while I’m gone!”
Yep, she has been assimilated! 🙂
There are a lot of things I like about the Doctor Who. The stories, the characters, the witty dialogue and fantastic locations. But what I really enjoy is the “Christ” like arch type The Doctor represents. I’m always drawn to “Christ” figures in stories. (Superman, Aslan etc.)
So, in honor of the upcoming regeneration (resurrection?) of The Doctor I thought I would list my Top Eleven Doctor Who quotes that Sound Like Something Jesus Would Say!
Drum roll please…
11. The Doctor: You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, you betrayed our friendship, you betrayed everything I ever stood for. (Angry) You let me down!
Clara: Then why are you helping me?
The Doctor: (In disbelief) Why? (Walks toward Clara) Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?
10. “Big flashy things have my name written all over them. Well… not yet, give me time and a crayon.” The Doctor
9. Jackson Lake: Please Doctor…Help Me?
The Doctor: Ah, two words I never refuse.
8. “Rose…before I go, I just want to tell you: you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? (pause) So was I!” The 9th Doctor’s final words before regenerating into the 10th Doctor
7. “My experience is that there is, surprisingly, always hope!” – The Doctor
6. “Good men don’t need rules.” – The Doctor
5. “Picture the biggest ship you’ve ever seen. Are you picturing it? (yes) Good, now forget it because this ship is infinite.” – The Doctor explaining the dimensions of his ship the T.A.R.D.I.S
4. The Doctor: Didn’t anyone ever tell you? There’s one thing you never put in a trap if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
Angel Bob: And what would that be, sir?
The Doctor: Me. – (I always thought this is something Jesus could have said on the cross)
3. “People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint – it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly… time-y wimey… stuff.”– The Doctor explaining “time”
2. Rose: Look at you, beaming away like you’re Father Christmas!
The Doctor: Who says I’m not, red-bicycle-when-you-were-twelve?
Rose: [shocked] What?
The Doctor: And everybody lives, Rose! Everybody lives! I need more days like this! Go on, ask me anything; I’m on fire!
and the number 1 best Doctor Who sounding like Jesus quote:
1. You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. – The Doctor
There you have it. If you have never watched Doctor Who before…there is no better time to begin.
Great Britain / Politics / Television / TV You Should Watch
TV You Should Watch: Yes Minister!By Steve
Politics / Television
Saturday Night SarahBy Steve
G.O.P. / In Memorium / Television
Good-bye Robert CulpBy Steve
Film / In Memorium / Television
Ron Silver 1946-2009By Steve
Obama / Politics / Television
Opinion Polls and “Yes Minister”By Steve
Americana / Television
Twin Peaks 20th AnniversaryBy Steve
Christianity / LOST / Television
Why I’ve gotten “LOST”By Steve
Film / Television
Joaquin Phoenix on David LettermanBy Steve
Obama / Politics / Television
The New West WingBy Steve
Life on Mars axed!By Steve